Monday, August 16, 2010

Day 1- Your Favorite Song

Wow, this is actually a tough one because I love all kinds of music. I always have favorite "at the moment" songs, but in a few months they will become just another song to me. They aren't my forever favorite songs. So this one involved some thought. What is one song that, no matter when or where I hear it, I have to listen to it? Hmm.

But I can't think of just one. There are a few.

As a kid I loved classical music and still do. One of the songs, which is so common, is "Pachelbell's Canon in D". I bought a tape of it when I was a kid on a vacation. It had beach sounds to it. I made my parents play the tape in the van on our vacation and all it was was that song over, and over, and over, and over, and over... and over again. They couldn't wait for me to fall asleep so they could take it out. I walked down the aisle to that song, as most brides do, but that song has special meaning to me... not just a good song to walk to.

I love the song "Home", which Michael Buble sings. It fits me. I am not completely comfortable unless I am home with the ones I love.

I love the song "Boondocks" by Little Big Town. I grew up outdoors. I am a country girl and that song suits my childhood. I can remember hunting for crawfish in the creek with my cousins and then building "homes" for them.

"When I Said I Do" by Clint Black has a special place in my heart because it is the song I danced to with the love of my life at my wedding. :)

And last, but not least, I love the song "Down by the Station". I had a student who loved this song. We would sing it every day. He is struggling with his health right now, and that song makes me think of WHY I went into education.

I love many more songs. I grew up in music and there is just so much out there. How can you pick just one? It is the same thing with color... I tell my students I don't have a favorite color, because I don't. They are all beautiful! there are some types of music I just don't do (like the screaming, creepy Marylin Manson type music, or the rap with awful lyrics (not all rap is bad)... not for me!), but there isn't much that I exclude from my mp3 player!

No comments: