Monday, February 1, 2010

Well... here we go!

Last week was QUITE eventful! I have been applying for jobs left and right. Most of them long term sub positions because there really isn't much else available out there. There was a call for resumes for next year, and then there was a permanent job, but I didn't hear from that one (and it was at the top of my list to do anyway).

One of the jobs I applied for was in my mom's school district (and just happened to be the first job I put my resume in for). It is a 1st grade long term sub position, start in February and ending in May, or later depending on how the teacher feels about coming back. WELL... I got a call on Monday from a principal in the school district my mom teaches in asking if I had my certification in hand, and since I didn't, he couldn't interview me, but he said if I did get it that week, to call him and he'll set up an interview.

Tuesday I was subbing, but I decided to call the dept of education and find out the status of my certification. Well as of Tuesday it hadn't even been processed yet. I spoke with someone who said they would let my evaluator know, but that she couldn't promise anything. I called the school back and left a message. When I left subbing that day I had a message on my cell phone saying that because they had other candidates that had the certification on hand, they couldn't interview me, but that they had a 2nd grade long term sub position coming open soon and I could apply for that one. I was bummed...... until I got home and there was a message on my answering machine from my evaluator saying that she went ahead and processed my certification and I was approved and therefore certified to teach in the state of PA! So I emailed the principal that evening and let him know about the message, but that I understood if he couldn't interview me for this job because I couldn't guarantee I'd have my cert in hand by the end of the week. Well I got an email back congratulating me and asking me to call the secretary to set up an interview for that week!!!

I had friends, and my husband quizzing me with interview questions all week and helping me pick out what I would wear. Meanwhile, I scrambled to get my portfolio together for the interview. I was also VERY nervous, but didn't really have my hopes up.

I went to the interview, felt I babbled a lot but that they liked my answers and then went home. I got home, changed, went potty, let the dogs out, and heated up my lunch and my phone rang. I GOT THE JOB! 30 minutes after my interview and they offered me the job! I am so excited! I just hope something permanent opens up because I'd really like to feel comfortable about having a job for next year and it would be great if it were with this district!

Wish me luck! I am nervous about teaching and taking two grad classes at once! Yikes!

1 comment:

Annie said...

how exciting!!
best of luck at your interview!! :)